Sunday, March 4, 2018

I Mosque Ask You a Question. Can I Go in There?


Today I took my very second selfie. It was especially exciting because I got to dress up as well.

My new hostel friend and I spent the whole day walking around the city of Kota Kinabalu. We went to the market, ate strange fruit (Great prog rock song title, someone go write that song), and stumbled through conversations in Malay with the excessive use of hand gestures.

We went to the fruit and Sunday markets. Street markets always feel the same to me, in the US and every other country I’ve been. And usually I’d write a whole blog post about something airy and profound sounding like “Capitalism influences people to create goods that no one really needs, such as trinkets, fried foods, and animals kept in poor conditions, avoiding more critical issues that could improve the human condition”, but I’m tired, and you get it.

After the market we trekked to the City Mosque. The sun was hot, as it always is, around 5,778 Kelvin, but today, in this location it caused the air around us to be 32 Celsius and very humid. The backs of my calves got burned because I forgot about them. I am now constantly reminded that they exist as they rub and chafe around the back of my knee. But I enjoyed the weather.

The City Mosque was a tourist destination, and I figured that it was just because it was pretty building. A large angularly patterned dome, adorned four spires cracking the azure sky against a sea of asparagus vines. It’s pretty.

I had expectations about what you could and couldn’t do in and around the mosque. In general, in Holy places I tend to be on my best behavior. Except in my own church of course, cuz its mine and I feel comfortable there, so why would I put on airs?I thought I had read somewhere in my Borneo book that non-Muslims were not allowed to enter the mosque. At first I was like, that’s odd, wouldn’t you want to welcome as many people to your religion as possible? And then I was like, oh well I get it, you wouldn’t want literal busloads of Chinese, Korean, and Australian people poking their nosy noses in your place of worship.

But this wasn’t the case at all. We peeked into the entrance, which didn’t really require peeking, as it was just a massive archway, and saw many people who didn’t look especially Muslim inside. I’m quite shy about asking for/about things, but my companion was much more comfortable inquiring. She approached a man who was welcoming people inside and he basically said “Sure you can come in, but you have to cover your forbidden parts”, which meant my rapidly reddening knees and her hair. He directed us back to the entrance to the mosque grounds where we could rent clothing to enter the mosque. Great!

A small lady quickly shuffled towards us and dressed us in Islamic garb. I was too tall for my first… um dress? Not sure of the proper terms here, my apologies. She laughed, because I was already practically kneeling to have her throw another layer of fabric on me. She also gave me a nice topi (Malay for hat… again, not sure of the terms). My friend and I were spun back onto the grounds like in that scene in Aladdin where he gets dressed up as a lady. You know the one? But it all happened so fast and we looked so different and we were laughing at ourselves and what our families would think. A very sunny day.


We went inside and took off our shoes and it was indeed a Holy place. It just felt good ya know?