Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Changi Airport: Anthropomorphization and Sex Changing

Hi I’m in Singapore. In the Changi airport that they also call a mall. But since Singapore is next to like five economic superpowers I’m not sure what currency to use and I don’t want to exchange USD for SingaporeD for just like 24 hours. But this is a great airport, it’s got all your basics, your state sponsored tour of the city that you don’t have to go through immigration for, your two koi ponds, your classic butterfly garden, your charging station powered by bicycle, free foot massagers, a pool. You get it.

On the plane I thought I’d do more writing, but I didn’t really. I thought I was going to play Mother 3, a never-released-outside-of-japan cult classic that Nintendo produced in 2006, that’s supposed to be the bee’s knees. Fan translations are supposed to be top knotch and I wanted to compare the experiences of travelling to consuming culturally specific media. But after spinning up a little flashcard game to help me learn Malay, I realized I’m ginormous and can’t comfortably use my computer and be inside of an airplane at the same time.

Instead, I watched the Great British Bake Off, and well done Britain! Great show, very British. It’s only now that I realize I could’ve just used that show as my exemplar platform to talk about regional media. Oh well, maybe later.


I have a 24 hour layover here. I rented a small nap room for 6 hours. I slept some more on a bench. When everything opened back up, I went to Starbucks. I know that’s not cool cuz you’re supposed to try new things or whatever when you’re traveling, but they had a scrambled egg bread bowl. So get over it, lumpsucker (casual friendly insults are being replaced with lesser known marine animals for the duration of this piece).


I’m going to Malaysia where my main activity will be diving of the SCUBA variety, not the wobbly sandpaper board type. I think I’m afraid of those.

I’m stoked to hang out with the fishes in their natural habitat. I love fish. Hence being an educator at an aquarium. However, there was a conundrum that came up frequently at the aqua.

There’s this thing called anthropomorphizing, where you associate human attributes to animals. For example, a fish looking "happy" or "sad". This happens with all animals, but I’m going to stay aquatic with my examples as it’s my DOE (Domain of Expertise).

Anthropomorphizing is considered bad because fishes aren’t people, they’re very different. They live underwater and have entirely different physical structures to accommodate this. Even among the “Things That Live Underwater” category, you have this huge genre of animals adapting to their environment. Crabs don’t look like Gobies, Eels don’t look like Sharks, and Coral don’t look like Whales. AT ALL. You’d have to be a complete blobfish to mix those up.

So when you have all these different forms meeting all these different functions, it’s really hard to say what the experience of the animal is. Because you don’t have those forms, you don’t have fins, or scales, or gills, and you only have a regular bladder.

...

Fish have swim bladders (I usually don’t put my jokes on easy mode, but I realized many people probably wouldn’t know that).

But here’s the thing, my whole job was to interpret the behavior of fishes. Millions of people’s passions and careers and research have been based on this stuff. So when people look at a fish and go “Oh it looks happy! It’s smiling”, you kind of have to tone down that read. You have to offer a more nuanced perspective of the situation.

The Kissing Gourami gets its name from its behavior when two individuals press their lips together, looking as though they’re kissing. So people will look at that and go “Oh cute fish!” and it will be a very successful fish to keep in aquaria. But those fish aren't displaying any kind of affection, they’re actually fighting. It’s probably two dude bros fighting over territory.

Kissing Gouramis doing their thing
But whamo-blamo, there’s the problem. In my effort to better explain the behavior, I’m anthropomorphizing again. While technically more accurate, as males do fight for territory, I’m using language like “dude bros”, but even language like “fighting” and “territory” get complicated, because like… Do fish own property? They have a concept of “mine” and settle disputes with physical contact? Do they remember the current "owner"? I think that even when trying to better clarify the situation, we still end up anthropomorphizing.

And I no longer think that anthropomorphization is inherently a bad thing. I actually think that it’s the only way we can understand and document animal behavior. We still have a responsibility to be accurate, resistant to applying cultural norms, and willing to change when presented with new information. But fundamentally, I think the only way we can interpret animal behavior is through a human lens. We can't examine the behavior of Gourami as Gourami because we're not Gourami.

Let’s do another one. Many species of Goby, Clownfish and the California Sheephead will change their gender under certain conditions. All Sheephead are born female, and the largest and most territorial of the females will change into a male. The subtext here, and occasionally entire marketing campaigns, is that it’s ok to change gender. And it is.

But there’s so much wrong with validating the experience of someone who feels they are another gender, by comparing them to a fish. I understand that we’re trying to combat the notion that “it’s not natural”, because obviously it is. But that comes with a boatload of other problems. Like we praise the Sheephead for changing genders, but then we have to quickly turn around and say that transgenderism is normal in humans but then aggressive behavior in males is normal for Sheephead but not humans. Also, as far as I can tell, Sheephead only go from female to male (monandric - http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.3160/0038-3872-108.1.16).

A male Cali Sheephead
So we’re selectively picking the parts of animal behavior that best support our own ideologies, and that’s wrong. We need to be more critical. We can’t say what behavior is “normal” across species. Maybe just respiration.

That being said, it is dope that Sheephead change genders. Like that is so so cool. And we should absolutely bring it up as a highlight of the species. And you can also identify with the Sheephead’s transgenderism, and it can be your mascot or “spirit animal” or whatever. Creating a better understanding of the world and yourself through animals is great!

Perhaps it’s harder because when you’re working at an aquarium with the general public. It’s really difficult to communicate all this information to some purple gudgeon off the street.