Friday, January 6, 2017

Gentrification and The Kind of Asshole You Have to Be to Run Around in a Tough Mudder T-shirt


Yesterday I moved to the Fruitvale District in Oakland. As Wikipedia puts it, Fruitvale is “southeast of Downtown, and is home to the city's largest Hispanic population, with Hispanics comprising 53.8% of Fruitvale's population” (Wikipedia). As I put it “Everything in this grocery store is in Spanish”. That’s fine by me; I’ve lived in Spanish speaking countries before and I wanted the good tortilla chips anyway, but me being the only white person in the store was indicative of the problem of gentrification.

A photo posted by Taylor (@tayloredtotaylor) on

Usually you have to go to school or read a book to understand socio-economic issues, but I’ll give you a crash course on why gentrification is bad.

Imagine if you’ve lived in your apartment for 5 years, paying $500 a month, and now your landlord wants you to pay $1000. You can’t afford that. So you have to leave. And so do all your neighbors. And your neighborhood has a lot of young people moving into it because you have nice coffee shops and theaters and community centers. In fact, your community has made it so nice here that it’s profitable to knock down those coffee shops and theaters and put up big condominiums. Thereby destroying the value you created

And also everyone moving in is white because they can afford it. Also the reason why your rent is increasing is because white people made a fancy company and the value of the neighborhood is going up. Also the land is owned by white people. Also they’ve made you move out before.

I got into a little bit of real estate mismanagement there, but hopefully you get the idea. Gentrification is forcefully moving people out via rent increases, usually to people of color by white people.

So what does this have to do with me? The question on everyone’s mind.

Well turns out I am white, and I’m moving in to Fruitvale (if only briefly). I’m like one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Gentrification. And I’m galloping in on my gaudy overpriced education and access to health care.

And I mean literally galloping through the streets. I like to run, it’s fun. But I realized I was wearing something especially insulting. I was wearing a Tough Mudder t-shirt like some sort of self-celebratory asshat. Do you know what kind of a nipple rubbing pompadour you have to be to run through a poorer neighborhood with a Tough Mudder t-shirt on?

A photo posted by Taylor (@tayloredtotaylor) on


To compete in the Tough Mudder you have to pay ~$150. That means you have an extra $150 just lying around, plus whatever it costs to get there. That’s $150 to just go run around!

That’s an exaggeration of course, because I am the absolute best, epitome, number 1, king champion of exaggeration.

Tough Mudder races aren’t just running around. They have numerous obstacles, including an ice plunge, a slide through a ring of fire, and electrocution. That’s some Mike Pence chicanery. If you’re living pay check to pay check, you’re probably not going to take the gamble that the kid who wired up the “Electroshock Therapy” obstacle double checked the amperes. Really, the idea that you can take a day off of work to run a course designed to be physically difficult is a privilege and a half.



So me running around with this shirt, I might as well have been carrying a flag that says “I have disposable income and a general nonchalance for my physical well-being as my methods for survival don’t require my body to be perfectly functional”. It’s quite ridiculous that I pay money and take chances, just for thrills, when others have to work to stay alive.

I used to think that running was a fairly egalitarian sport. And in a lot of ways it still is. No fees, teammates or equipment needed.  But running does require time and a decent place to run. I looked goofy as hell sprinting down Main Street today, and if you’re pulling your third shift at the grocery store for minimum wage today and you see me prancing down the street, the last thing you need to know is that I do this for fun and pay money to spend a day soaked in mud careening through mountains. But that’s what my shirt says.

I’ll probably still wear the shirt though, cuz it’s soft and doesn’t chafe my nipples like my other shirts.