Thursday, September 15, 2016

Going on "Tour"

I’m about to embark on my first “tour”.

I put tour in quotes because it doesn’t feel genuine. I’m ready to play, I have all the equipment, and I rented a car. But it’s really pretty slap-dash. It’s exactly how you’re not supposed to plan a tour. So I put it in quotes.

I’ve always wanted to do a tour, ever since I was a kid, travelling and playing music are my two favorite things and it just so happens that they go together like a little prepackaged candy bar. A little Taylor candy, except whenever I passed those vending machines I tended to be out of quarters or in a rush to get to some other vending machine. Usually one shilling out an overpriced diploma or ones distributing dollars needed to fill the other machine.

But in a night of bacchanalian ecstasy celebrating the end of a long contracted summer, I became aware that I didn’t need to work immediately. While I had been aggressively applying to jobs in the Bay Area, I didn’t really need the cash flow and it would be the perfect and maybe only time to finally go on tour. So with about three weeks’ notice, I started trying to book gigs.

I booked Pittsburgh fast and easy, which gave me the confidence that I could fill out the whole week, but ever since then I’ve been struggling to find anywhere to play at all. In fact I shouldn’t be writing about this, I should be trying to find an open mic somewhere in the cow fields of Pennsylvania. That’s the sad part, I’m barely rounding out half of my expected tour with open mics I can’t even confirm are real.

But I’d rather fling myself into failure than not be flung at all. At least you go somewhere.

Right now I’m flinging to: